Eating oysters does not directly translate into sexy time. I know this because my wife once ate 35 fried oysters in a fried oyster eating competition and take my word, she wasn’t feeling sexy. But, if you believe they have aphrodisiac qualities then you should try this new vinaigrette to sex up your oyster platter. Just don’t eat 35 of them.
This is from Marcus Samuelsson’s New American Table. He suggests Kumamoto oysters but I’d choose whatever your fish monger recommends. My fish monger recommended Malpeques, so I took her advice.
One thing I learned from Marcus in preparing oysters is that in restaurants, oysters are shucked and refrigerated with the brine. The shells are then boiled in water for two minutes to “make the half shell presentation more elegant”. Who knew?
Good luck oyster hunters. Here’s to some sexy time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 serrano chili, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 12 small oysters like Kumamoto
- Sea salt
- 2 cups of kosher salt
- To make the vinaigrette, heat the olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic and chili and sauté until the shallots are softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar, soy sauce and vinegar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice, cilantro and chives. Let cool to room temperature.
- Rinse the oysters under cold water then shuck them.
- Cut the muscle that attaches the oysters to the top of the shell. Place the oysters in a bowl with their juices and refrigerate.
- Bring the shells to a boil in a large pot of water and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and rinse under cold water until the shells are cool.
- Place each oyster in a clean shell and spoon the vinaigrette over the top. Sprinkle with sea salt. Arrange the oysters on a bed of kosher salt or ice.
Suggested pairing: Champagne and Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees on level 4.