It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that my wife has left me.
She has gone to visit Carol, my mother in law, to tend her needs for a few days following a very minor surgery. I hope the surgery went well Carol, and you are able to wear flippy floppies soon. That said, with my beautiful wife away for a few days two words come to mind:
I’m no spring chicken but this weekend I will pretend to be one, feathers and all. Here are my guidelines:
- I will drink as much chocolate milk as I want. It’s my life and my ass, damn it.
- Leopard skin briefs and white socks are perfect attire for homely chores.
- Sleeping in front of the television is not only encouraged, it will be rewarded.
- The Macy’s one day sale catalogue will be my news to the world for the next few days.
- Little Red Corvette will be on rotation at level 6. (level 6 is pretty loud in My Living Room)
- I will cook and bake foods that are delicious. Stay tuned.
To demonstrate a sensible start to the weekend, I have prepared the following salad. Yes, a salad. This proves I am mature and responsible. I would encourage you to make this salad too. It is very mature and healthy. I shall celebrate this salad with a few cocktails tonight with good friends.
Inspiration for this salad is from Mijita in The Ferry Building, San Francisco.
- 1 jicama, peeled and sliced into French fry sticks
- 2 ruby grapefruits, peeled and segmented
- 1 avocado, peeled and roughly diced
- ½ cup of toasted pepitas
- 3 tablespoons of a neutral oil such as canola or grape seed
- 3 tablespoons of orange muscat champagne vinegar.
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly squeezed lime to finish
- Peel the jicama with a knife and slice into French fry-sized sticks.
- Peel and segment your grapefruit. Squeeze the juice from the remaining grapefruit skeleton into a small bowl to begin your dressing.
- Cube the avocado.
- Toast your pepitas in a skillet. Turn and flip frequently. Keep your attention on this task. They will burn quickly. This should take no more than 2 minutes.
- Wisk oil and vinegar into the grapefruit juice to make the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Pour liberally over the jicama and avocado. Scatter the pepitas on top.
Pretty simple, eh?
Suggested pairing: Something Mexican or Tex-Mexican and a pat on the back.